The Preschool Teacher
Last September when I was hired to teach preschool, I was told that I would be hired as a certified teacher, since I am. After being told that, the School District was told that they couldn't hire me like that without offering the certified position to the teachers already working for the district. I was given two options - I could be paid as a classified employee (about half of a certified teacher's salary), or they could re-post the position as a certified teaching position. If they did that, I could lose my job to another teacher in the district, but I chose that option since I didn't feel like anyone would transfer a month after starting school into a part-time position. The School District procrastinated, however, and in March, they finally posted it.
Last week I received a letter stating that they had hired an in-district teacher for next year's preschool. I was very disappointed, and when news of my letter started getting around, many people were upset at how the district handled my situation. The Local School Advisory Committee, who is supposed to approve any new teachers, had already voted 100% to support me as preschool teacher. Several parents and teachers had written letters of support, and the School Board seemed to be in favor of retaining me as teacher. They were all surprised at the school district's decision.
The day after I received my letter, all of the teachers received an e-mailed posting of open positions, and the preschool was listed as one of the open positions. The teacher who had accepted the position had changed her mind that morning. On Friday I met with the Assistant Superintendent. The school district is trying to cut corners because of a budget crisis, so they have asked me to (if the School Board agrees) act as a Student Services Director and the preschool teacher. I will be responsible for preschool 5 hours a day and then for 2 hours a day, serve as a guidance counselor. Of course they can't call me a counselor since I am not licensed to counsel, but I my job would be much the same as a guidance counselor. I will not know if I have the job until after a school board meeting on May 24th.
Bryan is beginning his Master's Degree work this summer. He will be taking distance courses out of Southwestern A/G University. This summer he will be taking two classes.
This is the last week of school! Yeah! We will be flying to Texas next week to see all of Bryan's family. The girls and I will be there two weeks before flying to CA to my family's. Bryan will stay an extra week in Texas and then come to CA. My sister is getting married on June 18th and Bryan is doing the ceremony. We will fly home on June 30th.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
<< Home