Moving days
Today is day four of our sure-to-be moving "saga." We flew into Fairbanks Thursday night so that we could get the girls to their dentist appointments Friday morning. Bryan flew on Frontier (our "bigger" plane service - seats 11-13) since we had a round-trip ticket that we hadn't used yet. The girls and I flew on Warbelow's (our smaller 6-7 seater plane service) since their rates for the girls are better.
We had a full flight, so Audrey sat in the back across from a friend, Rachel sat in the first row, and I sat in front of her: in the co-pilot's chair. When I sat down, Rachel asked me, "You drive, Mama?".
The flight was going fine until about 20 minutes from Fairbanks. We started over the White Mountains and the plane was somewhat wobbly. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Rachel throwing up all over herself. Out of four women on the plane, all we could find was one tissue and a small handi-wipe. One woman friend offered a maxi-pad, but I felt I had the situation in control enough. I got her somewhat cleaned up only to have her start up again a few minutes later. Since I had used our one tissue and one wipe, and I had no spare articles of clothing to remove and use for a wipe, I ripped off Rachel's shoe and sock and used it to wipe her off. Then I noticed that Audrey was holding a bag up to her mouth in the back of the plane, and the other little girl looked "green" as well. I was turned in my seat, holding a bag in ready position for Rachel when I felt the pilot pushing my foot down. I hadn't noticed that my foot was in the way of the co-pilot's handle that the pilot was trying to pull back so he could land the plane. When we finally landed in Fairbanks, and Rachel was still dripping, Rachel said, "Now me go Taco Bell, Mommy?"
Today after early service at church and lunch, Bryan got back on the plane to Fort Yukon. The plans were for him to get home and begin loading the local barge and our boat with all of our stuff. However, when he arrived in the village, the barge was not in the water and the barge owner was not home. When Bryan finally got the barge owner on the phone, he was told, "Well, I hope to have it in the water by tonight." Bryan reminded him of the plans they had already discussed, and he told him about all of the people driving to Circle in the morning to meet them to get our stuff to Fairbanks. The barge HAS to be loaded today and on the river by tomorrow morning. The barge owner said something about going to church in the evening and then getting it in the river. The Baptist church lets out at 8 and then often shares a meal together afterwards.
At about 8:45, Bryan and our friends that are helping with the moving were finally able to get started. He just called me (10:45) to say that the boat trailer and four-wheelers are on the barge and now they can start with the boxes. He sounded relieved, though rushed, and I am sure that by the time I see him in Fairbanks tomorrow, he will be exhausted.
A trip to Circle on the river rarely goes without trouble, or rain, but we know that God will take care of Bryan, our helpers, and all of our earthly posessions. Whenever we start thinking about it too much, Bryan just says, "It'll give us something to write home about." I guess it will. Goodness knows, it already has!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
<< Home